Welcome to NIEPMD
National Institute for Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (Divyangjan) established in the year 2005, on East Coast Road, Muttukadu, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, (about 30 km from Chennai Central railway station, Mofussil bus terminus and airport) Under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India, to serve as a national resource center for empowerment of persons with Multiple Disabilities such as those with two or more disabilities in a person. The Disabilities enumerated as per RPWD Act (2016) are Blindness, Low-vision, Leprosy Cured persons, Hearing Impairment (deaf and hard of hearing), Locomotor Disability, Dwarfism, Intellectual Disability, Mental Illness, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, Chronic Neurological conditions, Specific Learning Disabilities, Multiple Sclerosis, Speech and Language disability, Thalassemia, Hemophilia, Sickle Cell disease, Multiple Disabilities including deafblindness, Acid Attack victim, Parkinson's disease and as per The National Trust (1999) Act, are Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities.
- To undertake human resource development in various functional areas covering inter-disciplinary, multi-disciplinary and trans-disciplinary activities for empowerment of persons with Multiple Disabilities through the state of the art rehabilitation intervention viz., educational, therapeutic, vocational, employment, leisure and social activities, sports, cultural programs and full participation as also through developing various approaches including community rehabilitation, project management and capacity building of Non-Government Organizations (NGOs).
- To promote and conduct research in all areas relating to Multiple Disabilities and to develop trans-disciplinary models and strategies for social rehabilitation to meet the needs of diverse groups of people with Multiple Disabilities, by the society hereinafter referred to as “the Institute” or through NGOs.
- To conduct, sponsor, coordinate or subsidize research into all aspects of the education, rehabilitation, capacity building, and independent living of persons with Multiple Disabilities by the Institute or through NGOs.
- To undertake and /or sponsor the training of trainers and professionals in the areas of early intervention, early childhood education, special education, vocational training & employment, independent living, community rehabilitation and project management, therapists and such other personnel as may be deemed necessary by the Institute in empowering the persons with Multiple Disabilities.
- To manufacture, fabricate, adapt or promote or subsidize the manufacture of prototypes and distribution of any or all aids designed to promote any aspects of the education, therapy and rehabilitation of the persons with Multiple Disabilities.
The Persons with Multiple Disabilities have equal rights to lead a better quality of life. This may be enabled with committed professionalism, accessible environment, equal opportunities, positive attitudes and appropriate, affordable, acceptable and available technological interventions.
To provide need based comprehensive rehabilitation through team approach facilitating inclusion, ensuring empowerment of persons with Multiple Disabilities and their families and by substantiating field based research and development of human resources.
Promoting quality of life for persons with Multiple Disabilities through equal participation of clients, families, professionals and community agencies.